Mass Gainer Supplement Guide For Beginners
What is a Mass Gainer?
A weight gainer or mass gainer is simply a supplement that contains a high number of calories and is normally used for helping bodybuilders or individuals who would love to build lean muscle weight achieve their calorie requirements effortlessly. These calories are normally obtained from nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and other minerals. However, the calorie concentration of most weight gainers usually depends on the brand of the weight gainer.
How and when to take weight gainers
You can take your weight gainer by adding it to your food or as a fluid by mixing it with water or milk. If you want the supplement to boost your weight needs then you can take it with your breakfast very early in the morning. On the other hand, if you need it solely for your workouts then you can have it 30-40 minutes after your workout.
The Benefits of a Mass Gain Supplement
- Helps In Healthy Weight Gain – Struggling to attain your daily needed calorie intake from solid food? Then a weight gainer is just what you need. They are normally packed with a high number of nutrients like carbohydrates and proteins which are high in calories that your body needs for normal body functions and to gain weight the healthy way.
- Improve Heart Health – For most weight gainers, carbohydrates usually form the largest percentage of nutrients. These carbs which are rich in dietary fiber will go a long way in keeping your heart healthy. They do this by preventing the dangerous accumulation of cholesterol in the arteries that can cause the arteries to block leading to high blood pressure.
- Help in Building Muscle – It is no secret that weight gainers are also rich in proteins which are very vital for building muscle. The proteins are made of amino acids which are essentially the building blocks of muscle fiber. This means having some weight gainer around your workout can be very vital way of building lean muscle.
- Helps in Digestion – Weight gainers also come with a generous amount of dietary finer which is vital for your digestion. The dietary fiber usually normalizes the bowel movements making it easy to pass stool to prevent you from developing constipation. It will also go a long way in preventing your body from developing hemorrhoids.
Who Should Take Weight gainers?
- Body Builders and Athletes – Weight gainers can really benefit people who work out regularly due to their nutrient needs. In most cases, it is usually impossible to get all the nutrients they need just by taking solid food, so it is important that they add supplements to their diets. And weight gainers can be a very vital source for carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins and healthy fat.
- Individuals Who Struggle to Gain Weight – People who have a very fast metabolism tend to struggle when it comes to gaining weight. They therefore need to consume a high number of calories that the average person to maintain their body weight or gain weight. Weight gainers, which are packed with all kinds of nutrients, can, therefore, be very key in helping them attain their weight needs through sufficient calorie intake.
What are the Side effects of Weight Gainers?
- Unhealthy Weight Gain – Some weight gainers are usually added sugar so that they can acquire a better taste. In some weight gainers, these sugars can be in excessive amounts adding to the overall sugar intake. Eventually, this will lead to an unhealthy gain of weight. Therefore be sure to check the sugar content that has been used to improve the taste of your weight gainer.
- Stomach Problems – Depending on the Kind of ingredients used, the weight gainers can be a source of serious digestive issues. Those that are made of whey protein concentrates can particularly be harmful to people who are lactose intolerant. Some of the common side effects would be gas, bloating or some severe flatulence.
- Damage to the Liver – It is true that protein is beneficial to the body but when it is excessive it can easily damage the liver. And the risks for such liver complications are heightened when one takes weight gainers in unlimited amounts leading to excessive protein intake. You should, therefore, ensure that you are well informed of the healthy portions of the weight gainer that you should take.
- Breathing problems – If you have a history of breathing problems then you need to stay away from weight gainers. Improper intake of the weight gainers has led to the development of sneezing, coughing, and asthma in some people. If this is your case then you need to ensure that you are taking the drug under the supervision of a doctor.
What to Look in a Good Weight gainer
The Nutritional Composition
The simple fact that you are taking the weight gainers is because of their nutritional composition. You should, therefore, be very keen on the kinds of nutrients that the weight gainer comes with if you are to get the most out of it. The ideal composition of the nutrients is a ratio of 3:1 when it comes to the carbs and protein with a generous supply of vitamins for nutritional balance.
Low Added Sugar
Something else that you will need to be very keen on is the flavoring that has been used in the weight gainer. Totally avoid any flavoring that increases the sugar content of the product. If you have any concerns ensure you get additional information from the supplier or the manufacturer. Avoid anything that has a high amount sugar content in the flavoring which can be a very potent trigger of Type 2 Diabetes or unhealthy weight gain.
Presence of Digestive Enzymes
A good weight gainer should also be capable of limiting your chance of developing stomach problems. For this reason, any weight gainer that comes packed with digestive enzymes is an added advantage as they will help with breaking down the nutrients to prevent bloating.
Clearly, weight gainers can work perfectly for you to meet your weight gain goals. However, as a rule of thumb before purchasing any weight gainers in the market today, you need to do your research. Now, that you have this knowledge you can consult your doctor to know which type of weight gainers will specifically work for you. And before you settle on any of the brands, ensure you do a background check on the manufacturer to establish their credibility.